By Mathias Eichler
Announcement by the race organization:
The situation announced in the Haute-Savoie department and more particularly in the Chamonix Mont-Blanc Valley from Friday June 24 at midday indicates:
– Heavy and continuous rain
– Wind gusts of 80 to 100km/h at all altitudes
– Major storm disturbances (hail, thunder, lightning)
– Temperature dropping to 5°C at 2000m
In light of this information, the safety commission, in agreement with the organising committee, has taken this decision in order to preserve the physical integrity of the runners, their companions and all the members of the organisation (volunteers, first aiders, service providers…).
All options for maintaining the race have been considered, including that of a possible postponement. Unfortunately, due to the density of this weekend’s events, the unavailability of the organisation teams leaves us no option but to cancel the event.
As climate change continues to intensify it will become the biggest threat to the growth of mountain sports globally. Not that it isn’t already the biggest threat to our life in general.
The Vertical Kilometer race had to be postponed until Saturday as well. No other races are supposed to be affected by this.